Thursday, March 16, 2006

That’s a thought



Just thinking…y’all seen the Kenyan Bloggers Webring? I bet you have. It seems like a thousand years ago when Jay wrote that post asking where Ugandan bloggers are at. But the truth is that compared to the guys in Kei, we are still playing. Of course, you can’t force guys to go online when they don’t have the means. Most of the guys who post their thoughts have easy access.

The times I have discovered a smashing Ugandan blog and let out a whoop are gems in my existence. That makes me believe that there are bloggers out there hiding and writing for a different audience. Maybe, we can actually have a little heaven down here if they all came into one fold.

Blogging is still young in Ug. Someone told me last week about an experience he had with a boda boda guy; when he asked to be shown to an Internet café, the bike guy went like, “What is a café? What is an Internet?” This happening in the year of our Lord, 2006!

This could mean that even if we got all the available Ugandan bloggers, we would not have the quorum to start something on the lines of what’s going on Kenya side. But it could also mean that we just haven't proven our worth for these blue bloods to come out and play with us. I still think we can start with what we got and build from there.

The months I have been part of the blogosphere have taught me a lot. It’s about the twisted wisdom, the witty remarks, the downright dirty eloquence that will always be found on this space. The fact that this is still relatively new (at least in this part of the world), we have what can be related to a blank canvas, waiting for the first brush strokes. The possibilities are infinite.

Okay. That’s the end of my moment of brilliance. Lets get on with life.


2 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

I feel u bro. I am always on the look out for ugandan bloggers (here and in the diaspora) and when I land on them, I always add them to my links section. But getting them is not easy.

I think we should get a critical mass and then start from there. It would be fantastic to have a Ugandan Bloggers community.

12:49 AM  
Blogger Baz said...

except that when I was growing up in Kenya, the word "kei" meant the privates.

(feeling rather evil today.)

3:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home