Thursday, March 02, 2006

Life as usual

For a moment, I had a big scare. I tried to open my blog and I failed. I could only get the very first post that put up last year when I started blogging. I could not stop the thoughts rushing around my head; had the bad guys got to me? Had the blogosphere been compromised?

Of course, I was relived when I tried for the tenth time and it opened. But I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I had just been reading the forbidden website and I had been chuckling about the government’s efforts to stifle free thought. Of course, I choose to disregard some of the stuff those guys put up but I am not government so I am not the one who is looking bad in the eyes of Ugandans.

So what is the way forward? Could a time come when even blogging is considered a dying game? Can there be a complete detachment from the political goings on in the country that the guys who write these online diaries stick to writing about their funny shenanigans, to save their lives?

I don’t think so. When you live in Africa, in a country like ours, where politicians get all the publicity that they do, you can’t avoid getting political in your blog.

Sorry to all those who wanted Pr. Peter Ssema. Apparently, the voters looked at him, sitting there on the fence telling everyone that he did not have a political affiliation and they found him wanting. They decided to give their mandate to the guy they could understand. I still think it could have had something to do with the twisted American accent, though.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Be rest assured, I don't think "they" will be hunting for you any time soon. There are those that really have them shaking in their boots.

2:39 AM  
Blogger Carlo said...

Nkosi sikel' iAfrica. God bless Africa. oh, thanx for thinking of my dad as a hero, that's even more than I think of him!

3:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home